Cherry Valley Historical Society
Cherry Valley History
|The first settlers came to the beautiful
Valley of the Kishwaukee River in 1835. Joseph Griggs and his family came upon the
valley and said, "Let's make our home here!" He called the area Griggs
Ford, because he established a mill and worked a ferry across the river.
Mr. Griggs liked the area so well, he sent word back East to his
At some point, the Village's name was changed to Butler. However, there was another Butler, Illinois, and the Village leaders decided to change the name. It was decided that all possible choices would be put in a hat and drawn. A Mrs. Butler, from Cherry Valley, New York placed the name of Cherry Valley in the hat and you can guess the rest!
The Village of Cherry Valley, Illinois became incorporated in 1857 which brought taxes and a more prosperous community. Currently, the Village has a population of 3,216 and as history goes the people that continue to settle here are still making this a "beautiful place to live."
Meetings and Membership
The Historical Society’s Museum is open to the public on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month from 11AM to 1 PM.
Historical Society meetings are held on the first Sunday of each month at 6:30 PM, with the exception of holiday weekends, when they are held on the second Sunday.
The museum is not open on Saturdays which fall on Holiday weekends.
For a private tour, call:
Lyle Wilt 1-815-332-4339
John Larson 1-815-247-8549
Bev Scholtz 1-815-227-1545